7 Lessons I Learned in 2015
We've reached that reflective time of the year...
I've spent 5 days off over Christmas taking a step back from work, my blog and newsletter. I've been working through my end of year reflection books, looking back at what 2015 delivered, and dreaming up what my 2016 is going to look like.
My word for 2015 was CREATE - I feel I have created SO much and in so many ways in my life this year. It has truly been one of my biggest years so far!
Here are 7 important lessons that I learned this year:
- Letting Go of 'All or Nothing'. I have high levels of drive and determination which serve me well most of the time to get things done. However this year I have learnt that I need to consciously be kind to myself and just do what I can. Done is better than perfect.
- Valuably Investing My Time. This year I studied 2 courses whilst working full time and changed jobs into a new industry. I was also a wife, mother and friend. I've learnt that being SUPER organised with my time and giving up TV for just about the whole year (!) has helped me to achieve this. It has been a worthy investment, and has also made me think about how much time I have wasted in the past. I have also reminded myself that taking a time out and switching off regularly is also so important to stay balanced!
- Embrace Fear. This year I embraced fear through becoming a life coach and starting my own business. Studying and changing jobs. Overcoming health scares. Navigating my husband driving through the Los Angeles freeways! Stepping out of my comfort zone has taken me to amazing new places and helped me to grow in so many ways. I've become much more comfortable stepping into the unknown more often - that's where the MAGIC happens!
- Be a Lifelong Learner. For the past few years I have studied a course almost every year. This has enabled me to grow and expand, and I now have so much valuable information to share with others. It's not only courses - I have also learned from my beautiful network of family and friends, books and magazines. I try to find inspiration from a variety of sources and people. This year I graduated from the Beautiful You Coaching Academy and I now have an INCREDIBLE network of amazing women-preneurs from this experience!
- Relationship Detox. I have learnt how important it is to surround yourself with people who LIFT YOU UP. People who make you feel good, feel loved, feel happy and are generous with their love, energy and support. When people don't do this anymore or create emotional drama, let them go. Whether it be family or friends - life is too damn short to waste it on people who play no role in your happiness.
- Health First. I was a runner for 6 or 7 years and I learnt this year that my knees are just not built for long distance running anymore. I am now feeling more OK with doing other forms of exercise to replace my love for running - such as walking, Body Attack, yoga, cycling. I also completed the 28km Walk To Westmead to raise money for the children's hospital. I also learnt (again!) that prevention is always better than the cure - daily flossing, eating food that makes me feel GOOD and getting quality sleep. (My yearly dentist visit is always highly traumatic!)
- Step Into My Light. I have wanted to start my own business for many years now, and this year I realised that my service is simply to coach others. It is what I have been doing in my 'day job' for over 14 years, so it makes sense to continue this in my own Career Coaching business. Coaching, mentoring and developing others makes me feel happy, lights me up and energises me! I have received beautiful feedback from my clients this year which has inspired and motivated me. (See feedback below!) I feel I have fully stepped into my light of lifting others up in a positive way.
2015 has been a truly amazing (and busy!) year and I am grateful for the opportunities and new beautiful people that have come into my life. I am incredibly thankful for everyone who has believed in me and supported me along the way.
I believe that we can powerfully create our world - simply through setting goals and intentions. My word for 2016 is EXPAND - and I am dreaming up a BIG year...!
Have you stepped into your light? Are you following your passions and doing what lights you up?